Dr. Carina Höglund completed in 2005 her Master of Science degree in applied physics and electrical engineering from the Linköping University, followed by a PhD in Material Science and Thin Film Physics from the same University in 2010.
After her dissertation, she was employed as a researcher in neutron detection at the European Spallation Source, based in Linköping. The main task was to develop coatings of boron carbide using physical vapor deposition for applications in neutron detection. This very successful work quickly resulted in high quality films, a patent that was granted in 2011*, and it gave her the Chester Carlson research award in 2014. Her films are already used by about 10 detector research groups across Europe, with many more enquiries, and are the reference coatings nowadays. In Summer 2014 the ESS set up a dedicated workshop in Linköping for the industrial scale production of these coatings at a competitive cost. In parallel, development work has continued and she has, for instance, been working on the development of chemical vapor deposition processes for B4C thin films, and the growth of Gd-containing compounds. Further to this, since 2013 Dr. Höglund participates in the CERN RD51 Collaboration, Micro-Pattern Gaseous Detector Development. She also participates in various European and Swedish projects such as: Design Update Phase Projects for ESS (2011-2013) collaborating with 8 institutes in 5 countries; and the ESS-LiU project on the development of B4C coatings for advanced large area neutron detectors, since 2010.
(*) Patent WO/2013/002697 (03/01/13), PCT/SE2011/050891 (30/06/11) "A method for producing a neutron detector component comprising a boron carbide layer for use in a neutron detecting device"
- ESS, Design Update Phase Projects for ESS. Contributions on detectors from 8 institutes in 5 countries, 2011-2013.
- ESS-LiU project on the development of B4C coatings for advanced large area neutron detectors, since 2010
- Main ESS collaborator in the Knut & Alice Wallenberg Foundation project at LiU “Isotopic Control for Ultimate Material Properties” sub-project: “Novel Isotope-engineered Materials for Future Large-Scale Facilities” (2011-2015)
- Main ESS collaborator in the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research Synergy Grant project at LiU “Functional Carbides and Advanced Surface Engineering (FUNCASE)” subproject “Isotope-enriched 10B4C Thin Films”
- European Union, CRISP FP7, The Cluster of Research Infrastructures for Synergies in Physics, WP15, Neutron Detectors. http://www.crisp-fp7.eu. (2011-2014)
- In-beam test of the Boron-10 Multi-Grid neutron detector at the IN6 time-of-flight spectrometer at the ILL J. Birch, J.-C. Buffet, J.-F. Clergeau, J. Correa, P.van Esch, M. Ferraton, B. Guerard, J. Halbwachs, R. Hall-Wilton, L. Hultman, C. Höglund, A. Khaplanov, M. Koza, F. Piscitelli, M. Zbiri Journal of Physics Conference Series 528, 012040 (2014)
- A 10B-based neutron detector with stacked MultiWire Proportional Counters and macrostructured cathodes I. Stefanescu, Y. Abdullahi, J. Birch, I. Defendi, R. Hall-Wilton, C. Höglund, L. Hultman, M. Zee, K. Zeitelhack Journal of Instrumentation, 8 (12), P12003 (2013)
- Development of a novel macrostructured cathode for large-area neutron detectors based on the 10B-containing solid converter I. Stefanescu, Y. Abdullahi, J. Birch, I. Defendi, R. Hall-Wilton, C. Höglund, L. Hultman, D. Seiler, K. Zeitelhack Nuclear Instruments and Methods A 727, 109-125 (2013)
- 10B4C Multi-Grid as an Alternative to 3He for Large Area Neutron Detectors J. Birch, J.C. Buffet, J. Correa, P. Van Esch, B. Guerard, R. Hall-Wilton, C. Höglund, L. Hultman, A. Khaplanov, F. Piscitelli IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science 60, 871 (2013)
- 10B Multi-Grid Proportional Gas Counters for Large Area Thermal Neutron Detectors K. Andersen, T. Bigault, J. Birch, J.C. Buffet, J. Correa, R. Hall-Wilton, L. Hultman, C. Höglund, B. Guérard, J. Jensen, A. Khaplanov, O. Kirstein, F. Piscitelli, P. Van Esch, C. Vettier Nuclear Instruments and Methods A 720, 116 (2013)
- ESS Technical Design Report ESS-2013-0001 (2013)
- B4C thin films for neutron detection, C. Höglund, J. Birch, K. Andersen, T. Bigault, J.C. Buffet, J. Correa, P. Van Esch, B. Guerard, R. Hall-Wilton, J. Jensen, A. Khaplanov, F. Piscitelli, C. Vettier, W. Vollenberg, L. Hultman, Journal of Applied Physics 111, 104908 (2012)
- Low Temperature CVD of Thin, Amorphous Boron-Carbon Films for Neutron Detectors. H. Pedersen, C. Höglund, J. Birch, J. Jensen, A. Henry, Chemical Vapour Deposition 18, 221 (2012)
- European Spallation Source, Conceptual Design Report (2012), Technical Design Report (2013) ESS-2013-0001
- Multi-Grid Boron-10 detector for large area applications in neutron scattering science K. Andersen, T. Bigault, J. Birch, J.-C. Buffet, J. Correa, P. van Esch, B. Guerard, R. Hall-Wilton, L. Hultman, C. Höglund, J. Jensen, A. Khaplanov, O. Kirstein, F. Piscitelli, C. Vettier (2012)
- 10B multi-grid proportional gas counters for large area thermal neutron detectors T. Bigault, J. Birch, J.C. Buffet, J. Correa, R. Hall-Wilton, L. Hultman, C. Höglund, B. Guérard, A. Khaplanov, F. Piscitelli, P. van Esch Neutron News 23 (4), 20-24 (2012)
- Detectors for the European spallation source R. Hall-Wilton, C. Höglund, M. Imam, K. Kanaki, A. Khaplanov, O. Kirstein, T. Kittelmann, B. Nilsson, J. Scherzinger IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, 4283 (2012)
- Statistical energy determination in neutron detector systems for neutron scattering science K. Kanaki, R. Hall-Wilton, K. Andersen, D. Anevski, D. Argyriou, J. Birch, A. Hiess, C. Höglund, L. Hultman, A. Jackson, A. Khaplanov, O. Kirstein, T. Kittelmann IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, 162 (2012)
- Mixing thermodynamics of TM1-xGdxN (TM=Ti, Zr, Hf) from first principles, B. Alling, C. Höglund, R. Hall-Wilton, L. Hultman, Applied Physics Letters 98, 241911 (2011)
- Effects of volume mismatch and electronic structure on the decomposition of ScAlN and TiAlN solid solutions, C. Höglund, B. Alling, J. Birch, M. Beckers, P.O.Å. Persson, C. Baehtz, Z. Czigány, J. Jensen, L. Hultman, Physical Review B 81, 224101 (2010) “Editor’s suggestion”