Paul.Barron [at] esss.se
Paul was born and raised in Sydney, Australia where he completed a Bachelor of Mechanics in 2008. After university, he got a position in ANSTO's Graduate Program where he did a number of placements in different divisions. After getting a taste of various roles he settled on working as an Automation Engineer in the Bragg Institute, which is a Neutron Scattering Institute. His tasks included programming Pilz safety PLCs, designing/prototypin/testing motion control systems and using Allen Bradley PLCs to control vacuum sequencing.
He moved to Sweden to take up a similar position in the Motion Control and Automation group at ESS. Here his role is to develop standards and strategies for automation tasks at the ESS for the Neutron Instruments. This includes initially evaluating and selecting automation components through to commissioning and maintenance of the machines in the operations phase.
- The Interaction between Safety Interlock and Motion Control Systems on the Dingo Radiography Instrument at the OPAL Research Reactor, Proceedings from International Conference for Accelerators and Large Experimental Physics Control Systems San Francisco 2013 http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/AccelConf/ICALEPCS2013/papers/thppc025.pdf
- 2014 - present European Spallation Source - Motion Control and Automation Group: Motion control, automation and robotics.
- 2010 – Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation – Bragg Institute: Electrical Engineering Group, safety interlock and motion control systems.
- 2008 – Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation – Nuclear Futures Graduate Program
- 2004 – Wollongong University - Bachelors of Mechatronic Engineering.