The Technical Director serves as:
- Leader of the Technical Directorate, which provides a number of services to all of ESS
- Chair of the ESS Technical Board (ETB), where the main decisions for technical matters are handled
Technical Coordinators help ensure that ESS is a single, coherent, and integrated project.
They are tasked by the Director General and Directors to pursue cross directorate or specific topics on a case-by-case basis.
The ESS Technical Board (ETB)is a forum and decision body for technical matters of common interests to all ESS projects during the ESS Construction Phase. The ETB has the authority to make decisions on subjects that do not require use of the Change Control procedure (e.g. creation/cancellation of working groups, decisions on standardisation). The ETB can review changes before their submission to the ESS Change Control Board (CCB). The ETB can also issue recommendations on technical or organisational matters to the Director General.
Acting Technical Director
The Engineering & Integration Support (EIS) Division provides the skills, tools and resources needed for the process of designing, building and maintaining the ESS facility and machinery. The division works cross-functionally through the ESS organisation and provides service to different ESS projects.
EIS Division Services Include:
- Develop and maintain the ESS Plant Layout, which includes the 3D Master Model
- Identify and set associated rules, norms and standards to work with ESS Plant Layout
- Communicate between the different projects relating to baseline changes
- Perform configuration and conformity control comparing the 3D and the physical facility
- Control and review installation schedules between the various projects
- Act as an interface with each project that includes integration or installation activities to ensure they are defined and executed in a smooth and well-organised process
- Interface management
The PLM & Process Support group is responsible for providing all project members at ESS with tools, methods and user support for design activities related to the development and building of ESS.
The group is continuously working with the user community to identify needs and gather requirements for software that supports ESS processes and procedures. The group is involved in implementation projects together with the IT department to meet user needs.
PLM/CAD support provides user support, training and methods development to users of the Project Information Management (PIM) tools at ESS.
Our focus is on Project Lifecycle Management (PLM) work in CHESS and design work performed in Catia V6. This is provided both to users at ESS and members of the collaboration using the PIM tools provided by ESS.
Project Information Management (PIM) addresses the needs of organising, locating, tracking, sharing, monitoring and reusing technical project information and communications in a way that allows complete traceability of the entire ESS Programme over its lifecycle.
The Project Information Management System (PIMS) is based on PLM and design/support software, and methodical processes for collecting and using project information. These are, by definition, the ESS standard and official tools and processes.
Technical standardisation is an important objective necessary to:
- Maintain the future ESS facility
- Minimise the inventory of spares and specific tools
- Allow ESS staff to focus on essential competences
- Provide significant economical and practical benefits during all other project phases, from design and integration to procurement, installation, commissioning and operation
An organisation and strategy for ESS standardisation was established through the ESS Technical Board (ETB) decision to adopt a common governance document for all ESS standardisation.
Board Decision Points:
- Be the entry point for communication and access to all ESS standardisation information
- Serve as a reference for use in In-Kind technical annexes with regards to implementation of ESS standardisation by all ESS partners
- Provide configuration control of valid ESS standardisation
The Survey, Alignment and Metrology group provides support to all ESS projects as required.
- Geodetic aspects of the reference systems, establishment and maintenance of the geodetic reference network (outside pillars and internal references)
- Accurate positioning of beam line components according to specifications
- Geometrical control, inspection and metrology works on the beam components, target elements, and instruments
- Precise assembly support, fiducialization measurements, and reverse engineering measurements
- As-built measurements (control building construction and critical components prior to installation)
- Ensure integration of existing and future machines and experiment upgrades from an alignment point of view
- Geodetic aspects: Global Navigation Satellite System, Industrial Total Stations and Digital Levels
- Alignment: Laser Trackers, Optical Levels and Theodolites, Interferometer and Digital Inclinometer
- 3D Geometrical Controls: 3D Measuring Arms, Coordinate Measurement Machine and other standard tooling
- Other possible solutions under study: Laser Scanner, Hydrostatic Levelling System, Fixed Stretched Wire, Photogrammetry