January at the construction site has so far seen substantial reinforcement works progressing on the next level of the Target Station, along with continuing progress on the short-range instrument halls and labs base slabs. Casting of the massive ground-level structures for the Target Station’s Monolith and Active Cells areas was brought nearly to completion in 2017. Some civil construction milestones anticipated for 2018 include:
- Work will begin to ramp up on the long-range instrument hall, E01, which should be weather-tight before summer, with MEP works inside substation building E05 beginning next month
- The Target Monolith’s High Bay Vault should be completed by the end of the year.
- Waste pits in the Active Cells area are to be installed by April.
- Completion of the base slab for the D04 lab building in Experimental Hall 2 should be completed in September.
- Erection of the superstructure for the D05 Target substation will begin this month, with internal MEP works to follow in April.
- Construction will begin on the new D09 Waste Building in the second half of the year.
- And finally, construction is expected to begin on the Campus Buildings before the end of the year.