In Sweden

lund to malmo

Region Skåne, Lund and Malmö

  • Moving to Southern Sweden: The information displayed at this homepage concerns several aspects, such as moving to and living and working in Sweden. For example information regarding work permits, the social security system, taxes, pensions, schools and so on can be found here.
  • Introduction to the City of Lund: Here you will find a wide range of information about different activities and attractions in Lund City.
  • Introduction to the City of Malmö: Take a look at Malmö's official visitor site. This is a great place to start in your journey to get to know the city.

Swedish Social Security System and Healthcare

Sweden offers high quality social insurance and societal services, such as childcare and health care, free of charge or at a very low cost. Schools offer high quality education, also free of charge. Below are some examples of services and corresponding prices:

  • Social Insurance
  • Kindergarten/Pre-school Childcare
    Maximum cost of €130/child/month
  • After-School Childcare
    Maximum cost of €90/child/month
  • Public & Private Schooling (up to high school level)
  • International Schooling
  • University Tuition
  • Planned Health Care
  • Medical Visit with General Practitioner

Below you can read about a few topics related to parental leave in Sweden and information about the Swedish Social Insurance Company.

Försäkringskassan: The Swedish Social Insurance Agency

At this website you will find more information about the Swedish Social Insurance Agency. The link will take you directly to information regarding those who have recently arrived in Sweden. Click here to also read how the Swedish Social Insurance Agency benefits families with children.

MVC = Mödravårdscentral, Maternal Health Care Center

At all Swedish health care centers, or in connection to each, there is often a maternal health care center (Mödravårdscentral, MVC) where midwives work. They can be consulted in questions regarding contraceptives, sexually transmitted diseases, testing for cervical cancer, pregnancy, etc. Most Maternal Healthcare Centers arrange parenting groups and courses for you to take part in prior to the birth of your child.

Visiting the Maternal Healthcare Center in Sweden is free of charge, and patients have the option to visit any center of their choice.

Learning Swedish

Swedish for Immigrants (SFI)

Swedish For Immigrants (often called SFI or Svenskundervisning för invandrare in Swedish) is the national free Swedish language course offered to most categories of immigrants. Tuition and course literature are free of charge.

SFI is directed towards people who lack basic Swedish skills and the age limit for the courses is sixteen. The municipality (local authority) in which one lives pays for the courses. Applications to take the courses are made to the municipality's adult education department (kommunens vuxenutbildning). There are several levels of Swedish education, and upon evaluation, you will be placed in the class best suited to your level.

For more information on Lund municipality's information about SFI, click here.

For information about SFI in Malmö municipality, please click here. The websites also contain information on how to apply for the courses.

Swedish Self-Education

If attending a language course does not suit you or your calendar - or you would like to pursue some extra practice on your own - here are some tools that might help you to learn the language yourself. These also help you to get more familiar with the Swedish culture in different ways:

  • YouTube: You will find plenty of videos teaching you about the Swedish language or culture - in more or less serious ways! A good start might be the video called "10 best ways to learn Swedish fast!"
  • Free language apps: There are a number of apps that could help you to learn the language for free, directly in your mobile phone. Babbel, Duolingo and Memrise are three excellent examples, which focus on vocabulary and pronunciation. They can be found in your App Store.
  • Hej Svenska!: An online interactive Swedish learning tool.
  • Babbel: The online version of the previously mentioned app. You can try it out for free to see if you like it here.
  • You can also learn Swedish through audio lessons with, for example, the Pimsleur method - the first lesson is free.
  • The Swedish Institute: Another website that offers courses, language tests, etc. Visit them and see what they can offer here and here.
  • BBi (Better Business international): Also offers language training via e-learning and virtual classrooms on their website.
Swedish News at Beginner Level

If you'd like to be able to follow Swedish news, but in English, there is one useful online website called The Local.

If you'd rather read the news in Swedish, there is a newspaper called 8 sidor (8 pages), which is written in simple Swedish. ESS has a subscription of 4 copies that are delivered every Wednesday, and usually can be found on a table close to any coffee machine. On their website you can order your own subscription or read some of the latest news.

Sveriges radio (Swedish radio) also provides a news program with news in simple Swedish called "Klartext". You can listen to the program or read about the latest news via their website.

Swedish Books at Beginner Level

The publisher LL-förlaget (Lättläst-förlaget = Easy to read publisher) provides a lot of books in simple Swedish - from classic Swedish novels to modern novels from other countries. The books can be ordered from their website.

Fact Sheets About Sweden

If you would like to know more about Sweden, the Swedish Institute has summarized fact sheets about Sweden covering different areas that might be interesting for you to look at.

International Schools

When relocating a family it is of utmost importance that the children have good pre-schools/schools, both high qualities of the education as well as a good social life with new friends.

In the Öresund Region there are several options for international pre-schools and schools. During your home-finding visit you have the possibility to get help from our external relocation partner to visit pre-schools and schools appropriate for your children.

A Selection of Schools in the Malmö, Lund, and Helsingborg area:

You can find a complete list with links to all international schools in southern Sweden here. Here you will get an overview of private and public schools, from preschool and compulsory school to upper secondary education and higher education. 

Social Networking

There are many great ways to socialize and expand your network in the Skåne Region:

Lund International Citizen Hub, LICH

Lund International Citizen Hub opened its doors and started activities in September 2015. You can also follow them on Facebook. The have drop-in hours on Thursdays 09.00-12.00 am. Please send an e-mail to to be put on their e-mail list to receive their very useful monthly newsletter and other tips!

Lund Social Group

A group established on the Meetup platform, Lund Social Group welcomes all newcomers. 

Malmö Internationals

A group established on the Meetup platform, Malmö Internationals welcomes all newcomers.

HIC Helsingborg International Connections

An on-and-offline meeting place for English speaking expats. Read more here.


InterNations is an international community for people living and working abroad. Founded in 2007 by three young entrepreneurs from Germany (former expatriates themselves), it has become the biggest expatriate network worldwide. 


Rotary International is an international service organization whose stated purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. It is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, colour, creed, religion, gender, or political preference. 

The International Club of Skåne

ICS is a non-profit organization, open to current or former expatriates living in Skåne. The aim of the club is to bridge cultural barriers, establish new networks and activities and to underpin an "internationalization" process in Skåne, creating richer and more favorable living conditions in the region. 

American Women’s Club in Malmö

The AWC Malmö welcomes members from all over the world. Currently, about 70% of our membership are U.S. citizens, the rest are expatriates from around the globe. The AWC Malmö has an open membership policy: you need be neither an American nor a woman to join. 

Tamams Studentförening in Lund and Malmö

Tamams Student Association works with integration, diversity and anti-racism in and around Lund’s student life”. The association in Lund is a branch of the larger Tamam organization. The organization was founded in 2008 in Lund. Their motto is “Friendship without borders”. Read more about activities you can join on their website.

Things to See and Do in Sweden

How to find a job or start your own business, networking tips, and understanding taxes in Sweden.

Spouse & Partner Employment

Register at Swedish Public Employment Service (AF Arbetsförmedlingen)

If you are looking for a job in Sweden it is very important that you register at the Swedish employment agency, called Arbetsförmedlingen as soon as you can.

Arbetsförmedlingen will gladly assist you in finding a representative to speak to about tailoring a specific plan for you. You will be allocated a specific contact person depending entirely on your profession, current situation and where you live.

Check out the website Work in Sweden

In addition to this you are, via Arbetsförmedlingen, given the opportunity to meet with a job coach. This contact person can assist you in finding employment and can provide information regarding the Swedish and/or Danish job markets.

  • On their website you can find vacancies in Platsbanken. Most jobs are in Swedish, but in the free text you can search for different jobs by typing a word in English.
  • On their website, you can also find links to other websites concerning vacancies, including the English language site
  • Please read about extra support offered by Arbetsförmedlingen here and here.
  • From Arbetsförmedlingens’s website you have a link to EURES, the European Job Mobility Portal.

N.B: If you are an EU citizen and at the time of your move unemployed within the EU, please contact your local EURES adviser before the move to find out if you are entitled to any benefits from your previous country. For more information, see here.

Join the Kick-Start Program for Job-Seeking Partners at Lund International Citizen Hub (LICH)

Are you looking for a job but feel you do not get any further? Would you like to increase your knowledge about the job market and what employers are looking for? Do you need some tips on how to widen your network and how to conduct yourself in an interview? Then the LICH Kick-Start Program is for you!
ESS in collaboration with the Cross Border Science and Society project offer a Kick-Start Program aiming to provide you with useful tools that will increase the opportunity to reach the job market. The program comprises different institutions, companies and individuals that give support, inspiration and shared experience in how to find employment. You will also have the opportunity to get individual guidance and assistance in setting your own personal goal in order to increase your chances to gainful employment.

For more information, please contact Lisa Andersson, LICH, at or Susanne Mattsson, Invest in Skåne at Do not forget to check out LICH's website where you find plenty of useful information and tips of events:

Register at Recruitment Companies

Register your general CV and cover letter on all or some of the following websites:

All positions:

Management positions:

There are other specialised recruitment agencies, which are easy to find on Google. Just look up the Swedish word for the area of your expertise and write that in addition to the word "rekrytering".

Create match-mails from the mentioned websites that have that service.

If you feel like calling a recruitment company for a follow-up after having registered your profile, then please go ahead. Some will just tell you that they will contact you if your profile is suitable for a position, and some might chat with you for a while which means you have the opportunity to introduce yourself further. A tip is to prepare beforehand what you want to discuss, so that you can present your competence and the position you are for in under 2 minutes.

Visit Company Websites to Find Open Positions

Search for jobs at the different job sites mentioned above, but also directly on the websites of companies which you find interesting. When you find a position that interests you, send in your general CV, but make a unique application letter for each position you apply for where you highlight the essential experience you have that matches what they are looking for. Try avoiding sending out general application letters as that might be seen as lack of interest in the advertised job.

Register on LinkedIn

When looking for employment in Sweden, Linked-in is an important site to be registered on. Linked-in helps you by boosting visibility and allows you to creatively market yourself. The site also gives you daily tips about interesting job opportunities in your area. Connect to all your business contacts, friends and acquaintances. Update your status and let everyone know that you are available for new challenges, or send individual emails to people in your network and let them know you would be interested in hearing more about any opportunities that might arise. Ask for references on Linked-in. So please register your CV on Linked-in and join the ESS spouses’ Linked-in page.

Please note that EURES is also on Linked-in. Search for “EURES Sweden”, “EURES Sweden – Tech Group”, “Nurses for Sweden EURES Sweden” and "Life Science Specialists for the Öresund Region”, if any of these groups might be of interest.

Join ESS Partners' Job Seeking Group on Facebook

If you are interested in employment, do not forget to register at our job seeking group on Facebook.

Send Your CV to the ESS Human Resources Division

You can send your updated CV to the ESS Human Resources Division. With your permission, HR can distribute it as much as possible among its own networks. You are welcome to e-mail your CV to Agneta Carlekrantz. Please keep in mind that although HR will spread your CV as much as possible, we cannot guarantee employment for partners.

  • If you are interested in working, it is extremely important to network. One way to get valuable connections is to join a local Rotary club, e.g. Lund International Rotary Club and Malmö International Rotary Club
  • A big business network that you might be interested in is BNI
  • Another one is Toastermasters Europe @ Ideon, where you besides networking have the chance to improve your speaking skills.
  • Please also visit Malmö Business.
  • Try going to seminars and gatherings to network face-to-face. This is a good way to meet new people, expand your network and other's awareness of you.
Recognition of Foreign Qualifications
  • If you have an academic exam from abroad and are looking for job within your competence area in Sweden, you should do a recognition of your foreign qualifications by the Swedish "Universitets- och Högskolerådet". You will find more information here:
  • If you have a profession within healthcare and is looking for a job within your competence area in Sweden, you must follow a defined process before you can get your Swedish license from "Socialstyrelsen". Examples of professions that need a Swedish license are e.g. doctors, nurses, mid-wifes, dentists etc. You will find more information here:
  • If you are a teacher or pre-school teacher and is looking for a job within your profession in Sweden, The Swedish National Agency for Education ("Skolverket") take decisions on registration of teachers and preschool teachers. You will find more information here:
Starting Your Own Business

If you are interested in starting up your own company in Sweden, contacting one of the two companies below is a good place to start. You can also contact the Swedish placement service, Arbetsförmedlingen.

Nyföretagarcenter Syd
Nyföretagarcenter Syd, NFCS, works with free consultations for those looking to start up their own businesses and also entrepreneurs with a relatively new company. They can help with ideas regarding the business concept and give advice on how to proceed in different matters. NFCS is independent and neutral in relation to established companies, banks and government agencies. NFCS wants to help in any way possible. They aim to give constructive and helpful feedback to all, and to be the guide that many new entrepreneurs need.

Almi Företagspartner
"Almi's vision is to create opportunities for all viable ideas and companies to be developed. With our advisory service, loans, venture capital and incubation, we have customers in all commercial phases, from ideas to successful companies.” 

  • Information for Lund
    Scheelevägen 15
    Direct Phone: 08-709 89 00
  • Information for Malmö
    Baltzarsgatan 22
    Direct Phone: 040-660 39 00
Additional Important Advice
  • Be open to positions that are below your current competence level while you learn Swedish. That way you will not feel completely exhausted learning a new language and getting adjusted to a new culture while you also push yourself to perform well like you would have done in your home country.
  • If you do not intend to learn Swedish, apply for positions with the larger companies in the region and also in Copenhagen (for EU-citizens).
  • There are classes you can take while waiting for the right opportunity. Please visit or to see what paid classes they can offer. Or why not sign up for some free courses at one of the universities in Malmö or Lund?  Excellent opportunity to meet new people, network and learn something new at the same time. More information and links under chapter “Studying in southern Sweden”.
  • Please remember that finding a new job can take time and in itself be a full-time job, so do not give up!

Taxes in Sweden

Sweden has a 25% value added tax or consumption tax which is high from an international standpoint. But high taxes are not necessarily high, if you are getting your money’s worth.

Taxes in Sweden

Download all

At the pre-visit during the 2nd interview you will get an individual, international tax consultation. Collection of taxes is the duty of the Tax Agency. Taxes go to the state, the county councils and the municipalities, and are used to pay society’s expenses for things like education, care, defense and public administration. Much of the tax is returned in the form of pensions and benefits of various kinds.

When you work, ESS deducts tax before you get your salary. Your salary slip shows how much your tax is. ESS pays this amount of tax to the Tax Agency every month. At the same time, ESS pays in employer contributions for each employee. When you have worked for 12 months, you will get an income statement from ESS at the beginning of the following year. ESS sends the same information to the Tax Agency. In April the Tax Agency sends you a self-assessment (tax return) form. You must hand in your tax return to the Tax Agency not later than May 2nd. In the middle of June or after the summer the Tax Agency will notify you of the result of the check. You will also be told if you have paid too little tax or will be getting money back.

Tax Types

‘Normal’ Swedish income tax

The income tax withdrawn from your salary by ESS depends on your base salary and what municipality you live in.

To read more about different tax tables and tax rates, please click here.

Tax relief for foreign key personnel (‘Expert Tax’)

Foreign key personnel include scientists, researchers, technicians, specialists and others. One main criterion for qualifying for the tax relief on these grounds is that Swedes with the foreigner's skills or talents are impossible or extremely difficult to recruit in Sweden.

The main feature of Sweden's tax relief legislation will provide a 25 percent reduction of taxable income of a foreign key person. This means that a key foreign individual's income tax will be based on only 75 percent of his or her income.

The reduction will apply to the first three years of employment in Sweden. However, foreign key personnel may reside in Sweden up to five years. Individuals qualifying for tax relief may not be Swedish citizens. An individual who has been a resident in Sweden during any of the five years prior to the start of the assignment in Sweden does not qualify for tax relief status.

To read more about Expert Tax, please click here.

Special income tax if you work in Sweden and reside abroad (SINK-tax)


Download all

Those liable for SINK-tax are persons resident or domiciled abroad. They must receive income based on work in Sweden and this income must be liable for tax under the Special Income Tax for Non-Residents Act (1991:586).

If you are employed at ESS and are qualified for Installation allowance, it will be paid before you move to Sweden, taxed with SINK-tax. If you are employed at ESS in Lund and decide to live in Copenhagen/Denmark and commute to Sweden, you will most probably be taxed with SINK-tax.

Swedish Taxes and the High Standard of Living

The Swedish welfare system — often referred to internationally as The Swedish Model — can be described as providing lifetime benefits for all citizens. It is a social and economic system whose guiding principles are full employment, equal pay for equal work and the collective welfare of society as a whole. Salaries are comparable with other industrialized countries and Swedish residents enjoy a very high quality of life, consistently placing Sweden near the top of the United Nations Human Development Index.

To read more about taxation in general in Sweden, please visit: Sweden.seMoving to Southern Sweden, and Skatteverket, the Swedish tax agency.

Unemployment Insurance

Private (A-kassa)

Unemployment insurance is in Swedish called Arbetslöshetskassa, or A-kassa. It is a private insurance you voluntarily sign up for yourself. There are several to choose between in the market, often determined by your profession.

More information on unemployment insurance

Go to

Many graduates with a university degree are part of AEA, Akademikernas erkända A-kassa. Different insurance companies have different regulations, but you must always be registered unemployed at Arbetsförmedlingen, meet the conditions for work and been a fund member and have been in membership for at least 12 months. You do not have to be a member of any union to sign up for an unemployment insurance.

If you are offered a time-limited employment in Sweden, we recommend you sign up for private unemployment insurance to get financial support when the time-limited employment ends.


If you have worked in Sweden and meet the conditions for work and are registered unemployed at Arbetsförmedlingen without having private unemployment insurance, you are covered by unemployment insurance financed by the government. The government-financed payments are based on your previous salary.

Lund University

Lund University is ranked as one of the top 100 universities in the world. In their own words, "Lund University seeks to be a world-class university that works to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition". There are more than 100 international masters programmes and more than 500 individual courses in English at Lund University.

Malmö University College

Malmö University College is modern university with a lot of courses to offer. In their own words, "Malmö University strives to be a university open to all: A university that is structured to cope with our ever-changing job market through a multidisciplinary approach that crosses traditional faculty boundaries".

Universities and Higher Education in Skåne

A full list of the top universities and higher education institutions in the Skåne Region.